Pictures of fish and fish in store may vary, these are just examples/fully grown fish
Pseudogastromyzon myersi, also known as the Pygmy Hillstream Loach, a fascinating and unique addition to your freshwater aquarium. With its distinctive appearance and engaging behavior, Pseudogastromyzon myersi brings a touch of nature’s wonder to your aquascape. This captivating fish is expertly adapted to fast-flowing, oxygen-rich streams, and adding it to your aquarium will create an eye-catching and dynamic underwater display that will capture the imagination of any aquarist.
Care Guide: Pseudogastromyzon myersi requires specific care to ensure its well-being and to observe its natural behavior. Follow these guidelines to provide optimal conditions for the health and happiness of your Pygmy Hillstream Loach:
- Tank Size: A spacious tank of at least 20 gallons is recommended for a small group of Pseudogastromyzon myersi.
- Water Flow: Provide a moderate to strong water flow using a powerhead or air-driven sponge filter to simulate the fast-flowing streams they inhabit.
- Substrate: Use fine sand or smooth gravel to mimic their natural habitat. Adding flat rocks or slate for resting places is also beneficial.
- Temperature: Maintain water temperatures between 72-78°F (22-26°C).
- pH: Aim for a slightly acidic to neutral pH range of 6.5-7.5.
- Hardness: Keep water hardness on the softer side, around 2-10 dKH.
Filtration and Oxygenation:
- Efficient filtration and oxygenation are crucial for Pseudogastromyzon myersi. Ensure good water movement and aeration to simulate their native environment.
Diet and Feeding:
- Provide a varied diet consisting of high-quality sinking pellets, flakes, and frozen or live foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia.
- Supplement their diet with algae-based foods, as Pseudogastromyzon myersi is known to graze on surfaces for algae.
- Opt for peaceful and similarly sized tankmates that share the same water requirements. Avoid aggressive or fin-nipping species.
Behavior and Compatibility:
- Pseudogastromyzon myersi is a social and active fish that thrives in groups. Keep a small school of at least 5 individuals to observe their natural behavior.
- They are well-adapted to fast-flowing streams, so maintaining strong water movement is essential for their comfort and health.
- Perform regular water changes to maintain water quality and prevent the buildup of waste.
- Keep the aquarium well-maintained and free of debris to ensure the health of your Pygmy Hillstream Loaches.
Order now to witness the captivating behavior and unique charm of these loaches. Whether you’re an experienced hobbyist or a beginner, Pseudogastromyzon myersi will provide endless fascination and an extraordinary glimpse into the wonders of the aquatic realm.
NOW SHIPPING LIVESTOCK AND PLANTS YEAR-LONG
We now ship dry goods and livestock all year! If shipping livestock, your Styrofoam box and heat pack are automatically added to your cart for +$25.