Pictures of fish and fish in store may vary, these are just examples/fully grown fish
Hermit Crabs (Coenobita sp. black), fascinating and unique crustaceans that make for intriguing and interactive additions to your home or classroom aquarium. Their glossy black exoskeletons and captivating behavior add a touch of mystery to your aquascape. These Hermit Crabs are perfect for enthusiasts who appreciate marine life’s quirkiest inhabitants, offering an opportunity to observe their fascinating shell-swapping antics and playful explorations.
Care Guide: Hermit Crabs (Coenobita sp. black) are delightful pets that require specific care to ensure their well-being and to observe their natural behavior. Follow these guidelines to provide optimal conditions for their health and happiness:
- Tank Size: A 10-gallon aquarium is suitable for a small group of Hermit Crabs.
- Substrate: Use marine sand or a mixture of sand and coconut fiber as substrate for digging and burrowing.
- Decor: Provide various-sized empty shells for them to choose from and hide inside. Place pieces of driftwood, rocks, and fake plants for enrichment.
- Temperature: Maintain water and air temperatures around 75-85°F (24-29°C).
- Salinity: Maintain a marine salinity level (specific gravity) of 1.020-1.025.
Filtration and Oxygenation:
- Provide good water circulation and marine filtration to maintain water quality.
- Hermit Crabs require access to both saltwater and freshwater areas in the aquarium. Ensure proper oxygenation.
Diet and Feeding:
- Offer a varied diet, including commercial hermit crab food, small pieces of fish, shrimp, and vegetables like spinach and carrots.
- Provide a calcium source, such as crushed cuttlebone or powdered eggshells, to support shell growth.
- Hermit Crabs are generally peaceful but may be territorial about shells.
- Avoid housing different species of Hermit Crabs together, as they can be aggressive towards each other.
Behavior and Compatibility:
- Hermit Crabs are known for their playful and curious nature. They are often seen exploring their surroundings and swapping shells.
- Provide plenty of shells for them to choose from, as they frequently change shells as they grow.
- While social in nature, they can become aggressive if resources like shells are limited.
- Regular water changes are essential to maintain water quality and prevent waste buildup in both saltwater and freshwater areas.
- Keep the tank clean and well-maintained, and ensure the shells provided are clean and free of parasites.
Experience the unique beauty and interactive nature of Hermit Crabs in your aquarium. Order now to witness their fascinating shell-swapping behavior and playful explorations. Whether you’re an experienced aquarist or a beginner, Hermit Crabs will provide endless fascination and a touch of marine mystery to your aquarium setup.
Name: Strawberry / Black Hermit Crabs
Science Name: Geosesarma bicolor
Max Size: 2 inches
Care Level: Easy
Life Expectancy: 2 Years
Minimum Tank Size Recommended: 5 Gallons for 2-3 / 10 gallons for 4-8
Groups: Recommended in groups 4+ | thrive in groups 6+
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
NOW SHIPPING LIVESTOCK AND PLANTS YEAR-LONG
We now ship dry goods and livestock all year! If shipping livestock, your Styrofoam box and heat pack are automatically added to your cart for +$25.