Pictures of fish and fish in store may vary, these are just examples/fully grown fish
Empire Gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa), a regal and captivating addition to your freshwater aquarium. With its striking coloration and elegant presence, the Empire Gudgeon adds a touch of grandeur and intrigue to your aquascape. This captivating fish is perfect for enthusiasts who appreciate unique and vibrant species, and adding it to your aquarium will elevate your underwater world into a masterpiece of color and sophistication.
Care Guide: The Empire Gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa) is a beautiful fish that requires specific care to thrive and display its full splendor. Follow these guidelines to provide optimal conditions for the health and happiness of your Empire Gudgeon:
- Tank Size: A tank of at least 20-30 gallons is suitable for a small group of Empire Gudgeons.
- Substrate: Use fine sand or smooth gravel as substrate to prevent injury to their sensitive barbels.
- Decor: Provide hiding spots with rocks, caves, driftwood, and live or artificial plants. These fish will appreciate the presence of structures like PVC pipes and ceramic pots.
- Temperature: Maintain water temperatures between 72-78°F (22-26°C).
- pH: Aim for a slightly acidic to neutral pH range of 6.5-7.5.
- Hardness: Keep water hardness in the moderate range, around 5-12 dKH.
Filtration and Oxygenation:
- Provide efficient filtration and good water circulation to maintain water quality.
- Ensure proper surface agitation for oxygen exchange.
Diet and Feeding:
- Empire Gudgeons are omnivorous. They accept high-quality flake or pellet foods.
- Supplement their diet with live or frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia, and bloodworms.
- Occasionally offer vegetable matter like blanched spinach or zucchini.
- Empire Gudgeons are peaceful and can be kept with other peaceful fish that share similar water requirements.
- Avoid aggressive or fin-nipping species that may intimidate or harm them.
Behavior and Compatibility:
- These gudgeons are known for their peaceful and social behavior. Keeping them in a group of at least five individuals is ideal.
- They tend to form a social hierarchy, so provide plenty of hiding spots to reduce aggression.
- Regular water changes are essential to maintain water quality and prevent waste buildup.
- Keep the tank well-maintained and provide clean, well-oxygenated water.
Experience the stunning beauty and social nature of Empire Gudgeons in your aquarium. Order now to witness their vibrant colors and the harmonious behavior of these captivating fish. Whether you’re an experienced hobbyist or a beginner, Empire Gudgeons will provide endless fascination and an air of sophistication to your freshwater aquarium.
NOW SHIPPING LIVESTOCK AND PLANTS YEAR-LONG
We now ship dry goods and livestock all year! If shipping livestock, your Styrofoam box and heat pack are automatically added to your cart for +$25.